Mitten, the new documentary by Olivia Rochette and Gerard-Jan Claes, offers a unique insight in the creation processes of Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker and her dance company Rosas. On the Day of Dance, 27 April 2019, the film will have its theatrical release, and will be projected in a large number of cinemas and art centres in Belgium. Afterwards the film will stay on the regular program of Cinema Sphinx (Ghent), Cinema ZED (Leuven) and Cinema Palace (Brussels).
Mitten follows the final weeks of rehearsal of Mitten wir im Leben sind, a performance by Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker, her company Rosas and cellist Jean-Guihen Queyras, based on the six cello suites by Johann Sebastian Bach. The film offers an intimate glance into De Keersmaeker’s meticulous methodology, in which a choreographic universe is built up through a careful study of musical composition. This intense creative process of continuously reshaping and honing, characterised by De Keersmaeker’s inexhaustible longing for precision and detail, is reflected in the filmmakers’ patient look at the work of the choreographer, the musician and dancers.
Gerard-Jan Claes and Olivia Rochette have been creating the video work for Rosas since 2009 and made the full-length documentary Rain commissioned by the dance company in 2012. As independent filmmakers, they created Grands travaux (2016) and Because We Are Visual (2010).
Screenings in the context of Dance Day
• 27.04 Westrand - Cultuurcentrum Dilbeek, 18:00
• 27.04 Cinema Palace - Brussels, 19:00 + Q&A with Gerard-Jan Claes
• 27.04 Kunstencentrum Buda - Kortrijk, 19:30
• 27.04 Sphinx Cinema - Ghent, 20:00
• 27.04 Cinema ZED - STUK - Leuven, 20:00 + Q&A with Anne Teresa De Keersmaeker (*)
• 28.04 Sphinx Cinema - Ghent, 17:00
• 29.04 DE Studio – Antwerp, 20:30
• 09.05 Netwerk Aalst - 20:00 + introduction by Gerard-Jan Claes (*)
Afterwards the film will stay on the regular program of Cinema Sphinx (Ghent), Cinema ZED (Leuven) and Cinema Palace (Brussels).
• 25.04 Sadler's Wells - London, 18:00
• 23.05 Plaza Art - Mons
• 23.05 Filmhuis Klappei - Antwerp, 20:15 (*)
• 03.06 Filmhuis Mechelen (*)
• 04.07 Montpellier Danse - Montpellier, 14:30
(*) Screening of Mitten preceded by Het Gerucht: Rosas danst Rosas (1983), a short documentary about the creation process of Rosas danst Rosas.
Mitten is distributed in Belgium by Dalton Distribution.